Bearing...Part 1

Discussion in 'Geometry and Trigonometry' started by nycmathguy, Feb 2, 2022.

1. nycmathguy

nycmathguy

I feel incomplete without fully understanding how to solve bearing problems. Let's start at the beginning.

Here is David Cohen's definition of bearing followed by a diagram. I need you to explain what David means by his definition and picture.

Screenshot_20220201-202223_Samsung Notes.jpg

North-South line? What?

Screenshot_20220201-202540_Samsung Notes.jpg

Explain how to read the information given in the picture.

Can you draw another diagram using different degrees giving me the opportunity to properly name the bearing?

nycmathguy, Feb 2, 2022
  2. nycmathguy

MathLover1

[​IMG]

The four main directions of a compass are known as cardinal points. They are north (N), east (E), south (S) and west (W). Sometimes, the half-cardinal points of north-east (NE), north-west (NW), south-east (SE) and south-west (SW) are shown on the compass. The above compass shows degree measurements from 0° to 360° in 10° intervals with:

north representing 0° or 360°
    east representing 90°
    south representing 180°
    west representing 270°

The true bearing to a point is the angle measured in degrees in a clockwise direction from the north line. We will refer to the true bearing simply as the bearing.

For example, the bearing of point P is 065º which is the number of degrees in the angle measured in a clockwise direction from the north line to the line joining the center of the compass at O with the point P (i.e. OP).

The bearing of point Q is 300º which is the number of degrees in the angle measured in a clockwise direction from the north line to the line joining the center of the compass at O with the point Q (i.e. OQ).

[​IMG]

more here:

MathLover1, Feb 2, 2022
    nycmathguy likes this.
  3. nycmathguy

nycmathguy

1. Thank you for this great lesson.

2. I had my root tip extracted today.

3. I am in pain.

4. Check your PM. Watch the video clip.

nycmathguy, Feb 2, 2022
Ask a Question