Element-by-element preconditioner for large sparse matrices fromFEM

Discussion in 'Numerical Analysis' started by S. Lankalalpalli, May 15, 2007.

1. Hello

I trying to solve large sparse linear systems resulting from meshes of millions of finite elements by a preconditioned conjugate gradient(PCG) iteration. Typically all the elements in the mesh are regular so element computation needs to be done only once. I am constrained to solve the problem on a serial computer.

Conjugate gradient without a preconditioner takes days. So, I am looking to use the element-by-element preconditioner first suggested by Hughes et al. Besides the implementation issues, is anybody aware of the performance of such preconditioners ? Most of the articles I have seen are on parallel implementations.

Also, any thoughts on the implementation of th EBE preconditioner through pure element-matrix vector products would be greatly appreciated.

Finally, are there preconditioners other than the one by Hughes which can be incorporated into the CG interation in an element-by-element framework ?

Thanks

Shrini

S. Lankalalpalli, May 15, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question