Forgetting Earlier Textbook Chapters

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by nycmathguy, Jun 28, 2022.

1. nycmathguy

nycmathguy

As I study math just for fun, I've noticed that I often forget the earlier chapters in ANY textbook.
    For example, if I am in chapter 5, I need to review my notes to answer questions in chapters 1 to 4. I recently completed an entire course in precalculus using my textbook and help online. There are certain chapters in that precalculus textbook that I have totally forgotten what to do. What can I do to help me remember the earlier chapters in textbooks as I journey through each book?

nycmathguy, Jun 28, 2022
  2. nycmathguy

MathLover1

I you learned something and you understood it, you can't totally forget everything.
    I you do you might have dyscalculia which is a condition that makes it hard to do math and tasks that involve math. It's not as well known or as understood as dyslexia . But some experts believe it's just as common. That means an estimated 5 to 10 percent of people might have dyscalculia. Adults with dyscalculia often take longer when working with numbers and may be more prone to making mistakes in calculations.
    Or it might be something else for those who hate math.

Did you hate algebra in high school? Maybe your teacher or parents told you it was because you’re right-brained, but a team of researchers from Georgetown University Medical and Stanford University believe being bad at math may not just be an academic weakness, but actually a disability. Their findings, published in the journal Frontiers in Psychology, reveal how different the brain is for those who don’t have strengths in mathematics and what it could mean for their overall cognitive health.

A math disability occurs when there are certain abnormalities in the brain designed to support procedural memory. Researchers identified the brain structures basal ganglia and areas in the frontal and spatial lobes, which could be responsible for the inability to process math problems in the same way dyslexic children struggle with word order. Researchers are calling it the “procedural deficit hypothesis” that may explain why those who are bad at math also struggle with short-term memory, which causes people to have a difficult time keeping track of numbers.

I do not think you have any condition above, I just think you are not practicing enough, and you are not organized in taking effective notes. Notes must be in shortest possible form (key words, definitions, formulas). Good and organized notes will help you remember the earlier chapters. Remember that math chapters are all connected and you cannot now one without others.

MathLover1, Jun 28, 2022
    nycmathguy likes this.
  3. nycmathguy

nycmathguy

Sorry but math proofs don't interest me. Solve for x does....

nycmathguy, Jun 28, 2022
Ask a Question