Geometric Construction

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by nycmathguy, Jul 15, 2022.

1. nycmathguy

nycmathguy

What is the importance of teaching geometric construction at the high school level? I will go a step deeper. What's the purpose of geometric construction? Why is it important?

nycmathguy, Jul 15, 2022
  2. nycmathguy

MathLover1

Geometric construction is an important part of geometry.

With simple study and drawing tools such as a scale or ruler, pencil, and a compass, we can draw line segments, angles and different types of polygons, arcs, circle and many other geometric figures which then help us then analyzing the problem with the help of the figures drawn and then proceed towards the solution.

With the help of geometric construction, we can create angles, bisect lines, draw line segments, and all the geometric shapes. Care should be taken to have a sharp edge of the pencil for accurate measurements.

Thus, Geometric construction is the process of drawing a geometrical figure using two geometrical instruments, a compass, and a ruler.

MathLover1, Jul 15, 2022
    nycmathguy likes this.
  3. nycmathguy

nycmathguy

I think geometric construction is important for people majoring in architecture engineering. Students who are not interested in becoming an architect should not be concerned with this part of geometry. However, I am glad that you know how to draw shapes using a compass and a ruler. I will post geometric construction problems in the near future.

nycmathguy, Jul 16, 2022
Ask a Question