Geometry Before Trigonometry

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by nycmathguy, Jul 8, 2022.

1. nycmathguy

nycmathguy

I don't think geometry beyond the middle school years is needed to learn high school trigonometry.

You say?

nycmathguy, Jul 8, 2022
  2. nycmathguy

MathLover1

"I don't think geometry beyond the middle school years is needed to learn high school trigonometry."
    what exactly do you mean by that?

Geometry students in middle school gain experience using basic geometry tools which they will be able to incorporate and apply those practices to more complex geometry concepts. A variety of angles, lines, quadrilaterals, trigonometric concepts and polygons are introduced throughout.

Most American high schools teach algebra I in ninth grade, geometry in 10th grade and algebra II in 11th grade. So, geometry is something like “the geometry sandwich".

You should already be familiar with algebra and geometry before learning trigonometry.

typical progression of high school math classes here in the US:
    1. Pre-Algebra
    2. Algebra
    3. Geometry
    4. Algebra II/Trigonometry
    5. Pre-Calculus
    6. Calculus/Statistics

MathLover1, Jul 8, 2022
    nycmathguy likes this.
  3. nycmathguy

nycmathguy

Why do I mean by geometry beyond middle school is not needed to learn high school trigonometry? As you know, middle school geometry is not as advanced as high school geometry can be. If a student has middle school geometry skills, trigonometry is just around the world.

nycmathguy, Jul 9, 2022
  4. nycmathguy

MathLover1

middle school geometry is not as advanced as high school geometry, but high school geometry is build up on it

so, both are connected and cannot be separated

MathLover1, Jul 9, 2022
    nycmathguy likes this.
  5. nycmathguy

nycmathguy

Understood. I will try posting math problems tonight. If not tonight, this weekend for sure. Starting tomorrow and every Saturday all the way to July 30, I will take personal items to the new location. I cannot do it all in one day. My last day at the current address is July 31. It is surreal to know that in just a few weeks, I will be free from the lease obligations and from you know who. THANK GOD!!!!!

nycmathguy, Jul 9, 2022
Ask a Question