Help with word problem

Discussion in 'Algebra' started by prissy1818, Apr 5, 2016.

1. prissy1818

prissy1818

in 1991 hikers found a preserved body of a man partially frozen in a glacier in the Austrian Alps. Through carbon dating technique it was found that the body contained 53% as much c-14 as found in the living person. What is the approximate date of his death?

prissy1818, Apr 5, 2016
  2. prissy1818

kmcandy14

Well, I need the decay rate (half-life) of C-14, as well as how much C-14 is in a living person. Both are figures that I just plain do not know. Did they not give you those? I suppose you could look them up...
    Asumming you had those figures, you could set up a proportion:

(53/100)=(X/(the amount of C-14 in a living person)). You would then cross multiply and solve accordingly (I'm assuming you can do that decently).

Once you have X, subtract that value from the amount of C-14 in a living person. After that, simply divide by the decay rate of C-14. You should get your value- which !at or !at not be a nice and clean number, but that doesn't mean it's wrong if it's not. You might need a Calculator, and I would also check afterward.

Hope this helps!!

kmcandy14, Apr 5, 2016
Ask a Question