how to calculate a rotation matrix using a range of angles and store for each angle?

Discussion in 'MATLAB' started by Josh, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Josh

Josh Guest

Hi,

I am trying to calculate the below transformation matrix over 360 degrees, i.e for theta = 1:1:360. I then want each of these 360 matrices stored so that i can multiply each one with a similar set of matrices. However I can't seem to get around the matrix sizing and storing discrepancies. I have tried using 'cell' to create an array of 360 by 1 empty matrices and then writing a function to calculate the below matrix and trying to get each result into the array but i get the error message 'too many output arguments'. Does any one know how to fix this or just another way to tackle the problem? Any help would be really appreciated.

T= [cos(theta) -sin(theta) 0 a;
    sin(theta)*cos(alpha) cos(theta)*cos(alpha) -sin(alpha) -sin(alpha)*d;
    sin(theta)*sin(alpha) cos(theta)*sin(alpha) cos(alpha) cos(alpha)*d;
    0 0 0 1 ];

Josh, Feb 28, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. Josh

ImageAnalyst Guest

ImageAnalyst, Feb 28, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. Josh

Josh Guest

By the way in case it's not clear, the transformation matrix is a 4x4 matrix of which only some elements depend on theta

Josh, Feb 28, 2011
  4. Josh

Josh Guest

No it doesn't you're right, all I want is the numeric values but I can't work out how to store them all as I can't use say

for i=1:360
    M(i) = func(i)
    end

as the function returns a matrix and also because i will have to convert i to radians,
    i,e i=0:0.1:3.14 and these are not all integers and that doesn't work??

Josh, Feb 28, 2011
  5. Josh

Josh Guest

No it doesn't you're right, all I want is the numeric values but I can't work out how to store them all as I can't use say

M(i) = func(i)
    end

as the function returns a matrix and also because i will have to convert i to radians,
    i,e i=0:0.1:3.14 and these are not all integers and that doesn't work??

Josh, Feb 28, 2011
  6. Josh

Matt J Guest

You could store as a 3D array:

M=zeros(4,4,360); %pre-allocate

M:),:,i) = func(i*pi/180)
    end

Once you have it in this form, you can use MTIMESX to multiply something with each 4x4 matrix in the stack.

http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcent...atrix-multiply-with-multi-dimensional-support

Finally, an alternative to computing i*pi/180 is to define func() using trig functions COSD, SIND, etc... which accept angles in degrees.

Matt J, Feb 28, 2011
  7. Josh

Josh Guest

Thanks for the cosd, sind info, didn't know these were available so that helps!

Unfortunately using your 'for' loop with the 'M' zero array still gives the error of

'Too many output arguments'

due to my function 'linktrans'.

linktrans simply calculates the transformation matrix(using alpha as the angle not theta) see below. Is this is because matlab is trying to multiply the 'i' 1x360 matrix with the 4x4 matrix?? Do you know how to solve this error?

Many Thanks

function linktrans(alpha)

theta=0;
    a=20;
    d=0;

T= [cosd(theta) -sind(theta) 0 a;
    sind(theta)*cosd(alpha) cosd(theta)*cosd(alpha) -sind(alpha) -sind(alpha)*d;
    sind(theta)*sind(alpha) cosd(theta)*sind(alpha) cosd(alpha) cosd(alpha)*d;
    0 0 0 1 ];

Josh, Feb 28, 2011
  8. Josh

Matt J Guest

===============

You haven't told linktrans to output anything. Rewrite the first line as follows

function T=linktrans(alpha)

Matt J, Feb 28, 2011
  9. Josh

Josh Guest

Oh I see, thank you very much for that! I now have what I wanted

Josh, Mar 1, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question