Incomplete Elliptic Integrals of the second kind -- evaluation

Discussion in 'Differentiation and Integration' started by Sequoia, Apr 6, 2020.

1. Sequoia

Sequoia

I am programming as a hobby and trying something with elliptical orbits of satellites.
    I need to understand how to measure the length of an arc on an ellipse, e.g. from 0 to pi/3.
    Now I've come upon Elliptic Integrals and an associated brick wall.

For the "Complete Elliptic Integral of the second kind" the length of an arc from 0 to pi/2, I've found a series the program can use to approximate the value of this kind of arc.

However, for the INCOMPLETE sort, there is nowhere a description of how the value is calculated, no series, no formula. Nothing.

They tell you in most places either :
    1. Look it up
    or
    2. use a website to calculate it, such as https://keisan.casio.com/

The casio.com website can indeed calculate the value where k = 0.6 and the limits are 0 to pi/3 bringing the value:
    0.98922159...... so there must be an infinite series one utilizes to calculate this.

It is most certainly not an elementary function. So, what is the series?

Sequoia, Apr 6, 2020
  2. Sequoia

Country Boy

I am not clear why you say "there must be an infinite series one utilizes to calculate this." I would be inclined to assume that they used a numerical integration.

The "incomplete elliptic integral of the second kind" for k= 0.6 and limits 0 and [math]\pi/3[/math] is

Country Boy, Jan 19, 2022
  3. Sequoia

Country Boy

I accidently terminated my previous post:

I am not clear why you say "there must be an infinite series one utilizes to calculate this." I would be inclined to assume that they used a numerical integration.
    You want to find int_0^(pi/3) sqrt(1- 0.36 sin^2(x)) dx.
    The "incomplete elliptic integral of the second kind" for k= 0.6 and limits 0 and pi/3 is int_(0 to pi/3) sqrt(1- 0.6 sin^2(x))dx. The "trapezoid rule" divides the interval into n equal sections, raises vertical lines at each endpoint from the x-axis to the curve, then replaces the curve above each interval by the straight line between the two points. So the area under the curve is approximated by n trapezoids. Here, the ith trapezoid has "height", on the x-axis, from (pi/3n)(i-1) to (pi/3n)i, a length of pi/3n. the "base" on the left is sqrt(1- 0.36 sin^2((pi/3n)(i-1))) and the "base" on the right is sqrt(1- 0.36 sin^2((pi/3n)i).

The area of each such trapezoid is the average of the two "bases", [sqrt(1- 0.36 sin^2((pi/3n)(i-1)))+ sqrt(1- 0.36 sin^2((pi/3n)i)]/2, times the "height", pi/3n, so (pi/3n)[sqrt(1- 0.36 sin^2((pi/3n)(i-1)))+ sqrt(1- 0.36 sin^2((pi/3n)i)]/2.

The integral is the sum of those for i= 1 to n.

Country Boy, Jan 19, 2022
Ask a Question