Learning Math Proofs

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by nycmathguy, Jun 28, 2022.

1. nycmathguy

nycmathguy

I think learning math proofs should only be a requirement for students majoring in mathematics. You say?

nycmathguy, Jun 28, 2022
  2. nycmathguy

MathLover1

A proof serves to convince or justify that a certain statement is true. But it also helps to increase the understanding of the result and the related concepts. That is why a proof also has the role of explanation.
    However, proofs aren't just ways to show that statements are true or valid. They help to confirm a your true understanding of axioms, rules, theorems, givens and hypotheses. And they confirm how and why geometry helps explain our world and how it works.

MathLover1, Jun 28, 2022
    nycmathguy likes this.
  3. nycmathguy

nycmathguy

Students greatly struggle in geometry class without proofs. I agree that math proofs are important but it should not be a requirement for students who are not majoring in mathematics.

nycmathguy, Jun 28, 2022
  4. nycmathguy

MathLover1

if a proof also has the role of explanation and helps to increase the understanding, it is crucial for all students not only those who majoring in mathematics

if you learning math, do you want to understand it or just memorize it without understanding?

MathLover1, Jun 28, 2022
    nycmathguy likes this.
  5. nycmathguy

nycmathguy

I care more solving for x. I care more about how to use the quadratic formula. I don't care about how to derive the formula..

nycmathguy, Jun 28, 2022
Ask a Question