math quotes

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by MathLover1, Jun 30, 2022.

1. MathLover1

MathLover1

1."Mathematics may not teach us to add love or subtract hate, but it gives us hope that every problem has a solution."
    –Unknown.*

2. “Sometimes it happens that a man's circle of horizon becomes smaller and smaller, and as the radius approaches zero it concentrates on one point. And then that becomes his point of view.”
    ― David Hilbe

"Pure mathematics is the world's best game. It is more absorbing than chess, more of a gamble than poker, and lasts longer than Monopoly. It's free. It can be played anywhere - Archimedes did it in a bathtub."
    - Richard J. Trudeau.

"If I were again beginning my studies, I would follow the advice of Plato and start with mathematics."
    — Galileo Galilei.

[​IMG]

Mathematics knows no races or geographic boundaries; for mathematics, the cultural world is one country.
    Marston Morse

MathLover1, Jun 30, 2022
    nycmathguy likes this.
  2. MathLover1

nycmathguy

Math is the language of numbers.

nycmathguy, Jun 30, 2022
  3. MathLover1

MathLover1

Math is more than numbers

The sentence 'We go to school to learn to separate sense and nonsense' will always stick with me. You may also swap out 'sense and nonsense' for 'fact and fiction'. For the people who "get" math, the language of numbers turns into imagery. They use internal language and imagery that lets them calculate and verify mathematics; they "see" its logic.

Mathematics is cognitive process-thinking-that requires the dual coding of imagery and language. Imagery is fundamental to the process of thinking with numbers. Albert Einstein, whose theories of relativity helped explain our universe, used imagery as the base for his mental processing and problem solving. Perhaps he summarized the importance of imagery best when he said, "If I can't picture it, I can't understand it."

Imaging is the basis for thinking with numbers and conceptualizing their functions and their logic. The Greek philosopher Plato said, "And do you not know also that although they [mathematicians] make use of the visible forms and reason about them, they are thinking not of these, but of the ideals which they resemble, they are really seeking to behold the things themselves, which can be seen only with the eye of the mind?"

MathLover1, Jul 1, 2022
    nycmathguy likes this.
  4. MathLover1

nycmathguy

Without mathematics, the world wouldn't be so advanced.

nycmathguy, Jul 1, 2022
Ask a Question