Monomial or Not?

Discussion in 'Algebra' started by nycmathguy, Jul 14, 2022.

1. nycmathguy

nycmathguy

College Algebra
    Chapter 1/,Section 4

Tell whether the expression is a monomial. If it is, name the variable(s), and the coefficients and give the degree of the monomial. If it's not a monomial, state the reason.

8. -4x^2...This is a monomial. I see x is the variable and -4 is the coefficient. The degree is 2.

10. -2x^(-3)...This is not a monomial. A negative degree is the reason why this term is not a monomial.

12. 5x^2 • y^3...This is a monomial. I see that x is the variable and highest degree is 3. This is a third degree monomial. The coefficient is 5.

14. (-2x^2)/(y^3). I am not too sure about this one. I know it is a rational function. If I bring y^3 to the numerator position, I then will get (-2x^2)(y^(-3)). The negative degree tells me it is not a monomial. You say?

16. 3x^2 + 4...This is not a monomial. This is a polynomial but more specifically a binomial. You say?

nycmathguy, Jul 14, 2022
  2. nycmathguy

MathLover1

correct

MathLover1, Jul 14, 2022
    nycmathguy likes this.
  3. nycmathguy

nycmathguy

Thanks. As you know, chapter 1 is a review chapter according to Sullivan. In fact, what I am studying now is a review of algebra 1 and maybe parts of algebra 2 comprised into one chapter.

nycmathguy, Jul 14, 2022
Ask a Question