New Precalculus Approach

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by nycmathguy, Mar 1, 2022.

1. nycmathguy

nycmathguy

Watching Professor Leonard on You Tube moving forward for everything mathematics. I will post here for help when I don't understand something said by Leonard. No more trying to answer every question in every chapter in every section.

What for? If I saw a significant amount of progress, no problem. The fact is that the more problems I solve the less I learn. So, taking it easy moving forward. We are all gifted differently.

I forgot what I had for breakfast this morning much less the early chapters in a textbook after advancing significantly in the course. It's not worth my time. Thank Section 6.6 for teaching me humility. I don't know as much math as I ought after years of playing with textbooks. A sad reality. Take it easy, very slow and easy.

nycmathguy, Mar 1, 2022
    1. Advertisements

2. nycmathguy

MathLover1

understanding is the key

MathLover1, Mar 1, 2022
    1. Advertisements

3. nycmathguy

nycmathguy

Understand the concept before answering questions is the key to learning math and anything else. Textbooks do a poor job when it comes to lecture notes before the section with questions. This explains why I am struggling with the textbooks in addition to simply lack of time.

1. I have no time to read lecture notes.

2. Textbook lecture notes are not reduced to the level of students. Professors always assume that students are on top of their game academically, which is far from the truth.

3. I took precalculus at Lehman College in 1993 and got an A minus in the course. The course was taught by a graduate level student working on his PH.D. As a result, he decided to skip many of the topics that I face in the textbooks.

Professor Leonard uploaded 115 precalculus video lectures. You and I covered most of the lessons answering Larson and Cohen questions. So, no need to work backwards. After SHM, there are about 6 or 7 video lessons in terms of polar coordinates, polar equations, polar graphs, etc. After polar we start our calculus journey also with Leonard.

nycmathguy, Mar 1, 2022
  4. nycmathguy

HallsofIvy

"1. I have no time to read lecture notes."
    So you have no time to learn mathematics!

HallsofIvy, Mar 29, 2022
  5. nycmathguy

nycmathguy

Are you following me? Do you miss me that much?

nycmathguy, Mar 30, 2022
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question