Philosophy of Mathematics

Discussion in 'Announcements, Suggestions and Feedback' started by conway, Feb 22, 2024.

1. conway

conway

Would it be possible to create a section entitled "Philosophy of Mathematics". I know that very few mathematicians care for philosophy, and visa versa. Yet there are some exceptions (like me). Who do "dabble" in both. Also in this way all threads related to God, or morality, relative to mathematics, might be diverted. Making it easier for the real mathematicians to ignore that which they do not care for.

conway, Feb 22, 2024
  2. conway

conway

My apologies...I did not mean to imply that mathematicians did not care for God, or morality.

I meant to imply that "they" did not care for God, and morality, relative to mathematics.

That is to say that they do not like "mixing" mathematics, and philosophy.

conway, Feb 28, 2024
  3. conway

Phrzby Phil

Oh, I'm fine with the philosophy part and have read such over the years: three viewpoints: Logicist, Formalist, and Intuitionist. I took a most interesting class in the Philosophy of Mathematics with Professor Max Black back in the 1960's.

E.g., Bertrand Russell and Alfred North Whitehead's Principia Mathematica attempts to derive mathematics from pure logic, finally proving that 1+1=2 after over 200 pages (see attachment).

However, what has any of this to do with supernaturalism or morality?

Attached Files:

Phrzby Phil, Feb 28, 2024
    conway likes this.
  4. conway

conway

You might consider reading the thread "Math Proves God's Existence". In which I use a well established "liner argument", to prove God's existence. This is an example of merging mathematics and God, or the "super natural". As you put it. Morality on the other hand...

"Philosophy" literally means..."Love of Wisdom"....in Greek. One can not be wise if they do not understand morality. This is true if one choses to be evil or good. Or even neutral. Evil fights good. Good practices morality. Evil must know what it is fighting to "win". So to for neutrality. I am thinking Alan Watts here....the eastern philosophies. As to tying together morality and mathematics...well that follows suit after the "proof" of God's existence.

As to your attachment. It looks like alien writing to me. I have made no secret of my lack of mathematical education. However it is useless to anyone but mathematicians isn't' it? The common man needs no proof of (1+1=2). I like Einstein, have a disdain for mathematics for this very reason. Except for where in I can use it to do things like "prove" God' existence. Where Einstein used it for "proving" general, and special relativity. Among other things.

p.s.
    The movie "Oppenheimer" had a quote in which Einstein says to Oppenheimer...."The only thing we have in common is our disdain for mathematics".

Perhaps this isn't true, and is merely a dramatization. Yet my point philosophically remains.

conway, Feb 29, 2024
  5. conway

conway

Phrzby

It would appear that I offended you. Please forgive me it was not intentional. I can only guess that this is so because I mentioned my disdain for something you love, and hold dear to your heart. Yet your responses to me would indicate you have a disdain for the concept of God. Perhaps not, yet there can be no doubt that if we talked long enough I would find something you disdain, that I love and hold dear to my heart.

You are the right side of the brain. I am the left. We need each other. Philosophers need mathematicians. Mathematicians need philosophers. Let us put our differences aside and work together again. As it was in the classical period of our human history. We are inverses, not opposites.

I would offer you co-authorship of the paper "The Unified Number". If you so wish it....

conway, Mar 1, 2024
Ask a Question