Probability In the Early Grades

Discussion in 'Basic Math' started by nycmathguy, May 31, 2022.

1. nycmathguy

nycmathguy

Do you think it's ok to teach probability in the early school grades, say, grades 4, 5, and 6? I say no. Probability involves fuzzy word problems. This concept is a better fit for high school students. You say?

nycmathguy, May 31, 2022
  2. nycmathguy

MathLover1

The curriculum in the United States continues to focus on basic skills, well past the fourth grade. In my opinion, that is not good.

In classrooms in Japan, European countries, and other countries emphasize more advanced concepts--including algebra, geometry, and probability.

So, the United States needs to start with similar curriculum as rest of the world and not to waste that much time on basics. They need to encourage teaching of experimental probability concepts beginning in the elementary grades. In addition, the study of probability allows learners to make sense of experiences involving chance.

The development of students' mathematical reasoning through the study of probability is essential in daily life. Probability represents real-life mathematics.

MathLover1, May 31, 2022
    nycmathguy likes this.
  3. nycmathguy

nycmathguy

Can you solve advanced probability problems? If so, after Calculus, probability is my next course of interest.

nycmathguy, May 31, 2022
  4. nycmathguy

MathLover1

sure, but concentrate on Calculus now

MathLover1, May 31, 2022
    nycmathguy likes this.
  5. nycmathguy

nycmathguy

Yes, of course. Probability after Calculus 3 not now.
    Some math later before starting my shift. Maybe some David Cohen problems?

nycmathguy, May 31, 2022
Ask a Question