What is the best way to introduce Laplace transforms on an Engineering Mathematics course?

Discussion in 'Other Advanced Math' started by matqkks, Feb 16, 2022.

1. matqkks

matqkks

Are there any practical applications of Laplace transform? I would not use Laplace transforms to solve first, second-order ordinary differential equations as it is much easier by other methods even if it has a pulse forcing function.

How can Laplace transforms be introduced so that students are motivated to learn? It needs to have an impact.

What are the applications of Laplace transforms?

matqkks, Feb 16, 2022
  2. matqkks

MathLover1

The Laplace transform can also be used to solve differential equations and is used extensively in mechanical engineering and electrical engineering. The Laplace transform reduces a linear differential equation to an algebraic equation, which can then be solved by the formal rules of algebra.

Transform is used in a wide range of applications such as image analysis ,image filtering , image reconstruction and image compression. The Fourier Transform is an important image processing tool which is used to decompose an image into its sine and cosine components.
    more about:
    https://www.irjet.net/archives/V5/i5/IRJET-V5I5593.pdf

MathLover1, Feb 16, 2022
    nycmathguy likes this.
  3. matqkks

matqkks

Thanks for your lightning response, However as I said in my initial message, it is much easier to solve linear odes by other means, not Laplace. You will recall that it has to be exactly of the form so that we can take the inverse LT.

matqkks, Feb 16, 2022
  4. matqkks

nycmathguy

Laplace Transform? What is that?

nycmathguy, Feb 17, 2022
  5. matqkks

MathLover1

In mathematics, the Laplace transform, named after its inventor Pierre-Simon Laplace, is an integral transform that converts a function of a real variable (often time) to a function of a complex variable. (complex frequency).

MathLover1, Feb 17, 2022
    nycmathguy likes this.
  6. matqkks

nycmathguy

Thank God I never have to take such a course.

nycmathguy, Feb 18, 2022
Ask a Question