Wrong question about parallel sides

Discussion in 'Geometry and Trigonometry' started by MathsforMaths, Feb 22, 2024.

1. MathsforMaths

MathsforMaths

This question appeared in my exam. Look at the figure and join db. Look at the second part of question. It is wrong.

Attached Files:

MathsforMaths, Feb 22, 2024
  2. MathsforMaths

conway

Im just a philosopher, and a terrible mathematician. So we will have to wait for the pros....but it appears correct to me. (ab) is parallel to (cd). Perhaps I am missing something. Feel free to expand your point. "Proving" that they are is something else....I love when we find mistakes in our mathematics...tickles me to no end. I hope that you are right!

conway, Feb 22, 2024
  3. MathsforMaths

Phrzby Phil

I agree. Tilt angles BAC and DCA inward identically. Initial conditions still hold.

Phrzby Phil, Feb 22, 2024
    conway likes this.
  4. MathsforMaths

conway

Phrzby

Can you expand on this? It would be appreciated!

conway, Feb 22, 2024
  5. MathsforMaths

Phrzby Phil

Nothing to expand on. Draw the diagram as I said, keeping the initial conditions the same. Since the two sides are now tilted toward each other, they are not parallel.

conway likes this.
  6. MathsforMaths

Phrzby Phil

By saying "Tilt angles BAC and DCA inward identically," I thought it would be obvious that one could do so by drawing it that way.

But one need not actually draw it - the diagram with identically tilted sides exists whether drawn or not - visualized for example.

It was a "mistake" because it cannot be proved because counter-examples exist - per my suggestion.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2024
    conway likes this.
Ask a Question