Two Different Graphs

Discussion in 'Algebra' started by harpazo, Apr 24, 2024.

1. harpazo

harpazo

Suppose that the graph of a function f is known. Expkain how the graph of y = f(x) - 2 differs from the graph of y = f(x - 2).

Let me see.

For the graph of y = f(x) - 2, the graph of y = f(x) is shifted down 2 units on the line x = 0.

For the graph of y = f(x - 2), the graph of y = f(x) is shifted two units to the right on the line y = 0.

You say?

harpazo, Apr 24, 2024
  2. harpazo

RobertSmart

Your explanation is on the right track, but there seems to be a slight confusion in your description.

For the graph of =()−2y=f(x)−2, the graph of =()y=f(x) is shifted downward by 2 units. This means that every point on the graph of ()f(x) is lowered by 2 units.

For the graph of =(−2)y=f(x−2), the graph of =()y=f(x) is shifted to the right by 2 units. This means that every point on the graph of ()f(x) is shifted horizontally to the right by 2 units.

So, in summary:

• =()−2y=f(x)−2 shifts the graph of ()f(x) downward by 2 units.
    • =(−2)y=f(x−2) shifts the graph of ()f(x) to the right by 2 units.
    Many students find it difficult to do such types of question. Many students also miss their assignment due to not knowing the basic concepts. If you are one of them facing such difficulties, I would suggest you to visit MathsAssignmentHelp website once. You can also contact them on +1 (315) 557-6473.

RobertSmart, Apr 25, 2024
    harpazo likes this.
  3. harpazo

harpazo

1. I am doing a self-study of mathematics.

2. I am not a classroom student.

3. In what way is my description confusing?

I think my answer satisfies the question.

You say?

harpazo, Apr 25, 2024
Ask a Question