Two Phone Companies

Discussion in 'Algebra' started by nycmathguy, May 18, 2022.

1. nycmathguy

nycmathguy

Math 004 sample test questions for anyone seeking NYS certification as a high school math teacher. This is just one of several exams required for NYS high school teacher certification.

Screenshot_20220517-215028_Samsung Internet.jpg

You have no idea how terribly frustrating it is to say that I completed a thorough review of precalculus, now learning first semester calculus but can't figure out this word problem.

I know there are two phone companies.
    The confusing part of the wording for me is UNLIMITED CALLING for Company B but 0.05 for each minute of conversation for A.

If you are taking the teacher certification timed test, and come across a problem like this one (assuming you never saw this question before), how would you reason your way to the right set up?

nycmathguy, May 18, 2022
  2. nycmathguy

MathLover1

The expression representing the monthly charge for Company A is $25+$0.05m, where m is the time in minutes spent talking on the phone.

Set this expression equal to the monthly charge for Company B, which is $50.
    Solve for m to find the number of minutes for which the two companies charge the same amount:

$25 + $0.05m = $50
    $0.05m = $25
    m = 500 minutes
    convert minutes into hours:

Since there are 60 minutes in an hour, m = 500/60 hours = 8 1/3 hours.
    One-third of an hour is 20 minutes, so m = 8 hours, 20 minutes

MathLover1, May 18, 2022
    nycmathguy likes this.
  3. nycmathguy

nycmathguy

I understood what you did after setting up your equation. What I don't understand is how you worked your way to the proper equation.

You said:

"The expression representing the monthly charge for Company A is $25+$0.05m, where m is the time in minutes spent talking on the phone."

What information in the problem led you to form
    $25 + $0.05m, where m represents minutes?

You said:

"Set this expression equal to the monthly charge for Company B, which is $50."

What information led you to equate $25 + $0.05m to $50?

If at all possible, I would like for you to break down word problems in this fashion. I want to think like a mathematician not just a student learning short cuts on a website.

nycmathguy, May 18, 2022
  4. nycmathguy

MathLover1

given:
    company A charges a $25 plus 5 cents=$0.05 per minute => $25+0.05m
    company B charges a $50 (unlimited plan, does not matter how many minutes)

so, to find m set

$25+0.05m=50
    0.05m=25
    m=500 minutes
    now jus convert min to hours

MathLover1, May 18, 2022
    nycmathguy likes this.
  5. nycmathguy

nycmathguy

I understand what you are saying here. What remains unclear, however, is why we must set Company A to Company B to find m. Where in the wording does it say to do that?

nycmathguy, May 19, 2022
  6. nycmathguy

MathLover1

why we must set Company A to Company B to find m

did you ever compare two phone companies plans to decide which one has better plan

Company A has plan $25+0.05m -> so, how much you will pay depends on how many minutes you used
    Company B is offering you plane $50 a month, does not care how many minutes you will use, minutes are unlimited

if you want to see how many minutes you will have available using Company A for $50, must set Company A to Company B to find m

and, as you can see, using Company A you will have only 8h 20min ( for $50), + you will pay more if you use more min
    Company B you will have unlimited # min ( for $50)

in your opinion, which plan is better?

MathLover1, May 19, 2022
    nycmathguy likes this.
  7. nycmathguy

nycmathguy

You asked if I ever compared two phone companies. I have compared more than two in real life. In terms of this application, Company B is better than A. None of this tells me to equate A to B to solve for m. If you post this question on the board in a CUNY classroom and ask students to solve this problem, no one would know what to do. In my opinion, Company B is the better choice. Still, nothing I said here leads me to create the equations you found to solve the problem. Moving on. . . .

nycmathguy, May 19, 2022
Ask a Question